Monday, July 9, 2012

10 Books My Kids Love

My kids love it when I read to them. I am always surprised, though, by their book choices. Some of the books that I thought they would love the most, are seldom chosen for a reading session.

We often go in seasons of reading the same books or series of books over and over. It can get tiring reading the same thing, but I am glad that my boys are enjoying the stories they find in books, and their own favorites.

As I was straightening up the book shelf the other night, I determined that these are the most popular books in our children's library during this season of our lives.

1.) Little Animal Adventures - Reader's Digest Young Reader Series


My oldest son especially loves this series by Reader's Digest.

Each book follows the adventure of a different animal and incorporates animal facts into the story. At the end of each story is a section that you can read together with even more animal facts.

2.) The Wind in the Willows


The Wind in the Willows will forever be a favorite in my heart. I loved the books and one particular movie rendition when I was a kid.

And now I will always remember it as the first chapter book that my son wanted me to read to him.

3.) Eddie Gets Stuck


A simple first book for kids, it helps that this is my youngest son's name.

It's a favorite for all of my boys now. They love this short read about a silly bear who finally gets hungry enough to climb down that tree!

4.) Mercer Mayer 'Little Critter' Series


The 'Little Critter' books by Mercer Mayer are a favorite for kids around the globe. I remember them being a favorite of mine as a child.

My kids especially love 'All By Myself', 'I Was So Mad', and 'Just Me and My Dad'.

5.) My Truck is Stuck


A favorite of everyone in our house! This dog is transporting a truck full of bones, but he gets stuck. He needs all the help he can get!

It's easy to see why this book is so fun for kids. The illustrations are exciting and action-packed, and the story is cute, with a twist at the end.

6.) Goodnight Moon


Since my oldest son was just a little guy, the sweet rhymes of Goodnight Moon have calmed him and lulled him to sleep. Even the illustrations are relaxing.

It is a bedtime classic in our home, something we can all curl up and cuddle with.

7.) The Very Hungry Caterpillar

I have not found a children's book by Eric Carle that my kids don't like. But, if we had to pick one of his books that was our favorite, it would be The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

All of my kids love this book, and it has sparked the greatest discussion about caterpillars and butterflies.

8.) Dinosaur Train


This book is just silly. Really, it makes no sense to me, and I can't quite figure out why my boys love it so much.

Probably because they are boys, and it combines dinosaurs and trains. Nuff' said. Either way, the illustrations in Dinosaur Train are vivid and contain lots of action.

9.) Little Blue Truck

Here's another favorite about a truck and a bunch of animals (I am seeing a pattern here.)

The Little Blue Truck is a cute little adventure and it also incorporates plenty of animal sounds, so it's fun for the younger kids, while the story is still interesting enough for the older ones.

10.) The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash



Here's another classic from when I was a kid.

My older two especially love reading The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash, and giggle at all of the trouble that Jimmy's pet boa constrictor causes on their field trip to the farm.

~



~

Do your kids love any of these books? What other books do they like?


No comments:

Post a Comment