Friday, November 25, 2011

Your Child Could Be the Next Jackie Chan

A couple of months ago, I listened in as my husband watched a documentary about the life of Jackie Chan. The one thing that stuck out to me about Jackie Chan's childhood is that he was, in particular, a "problem child".

Wikipedia states that "He was nicknamed Paopao (Chinese: 炮炮, literally meaning "Cannonball") because the high-energy child was always rolling around."

The documentary also spoke of his frequent fighting, and also of his hitting and kicking things. This makes me think of my own first born. It's all a little too familiar!

So, who will be encouraging the development of our modern day Jackie Chans'? Will it be the kids who are forced to sit in desk for the majority of the day, every weekday, and medicated if they can't sit still? I think not.

Do you have a high-energy child? I do. I like to think that by allowing their active energy to flourish, that I might be raising a sportsman, outdoor enthusiast, martial arts instructor, gymnast, etc. Of course, I'm happy with whatever they wish to become, but I refuse to stifle their physical enthusiasm of life.

My children actually receive incredible amounts of envious comments about their energy. "I wish I could bottle it up" they say, or, "If only I could have a little of that!" It gives me hope, and reminds me that there are still people in this world that appreciate an active, healthy child.

No comments:

Post a Comment